Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Yes, we still exist

Hi, everyone. Sorry for the long silence. Kevin and I do really still exist, and we're surviving our exams. He's done, actually. I have one left (tomorrow).

True to my usual course of action, as soon as I was done with the bulk of my exams (getting down two in one day on Ash Wednesday), my body promptly decided that no classes = plenty of time to get sick! What could be more fun for everyone, after all!

Nope, not pregnant. That would be too creative. Instead, I have something that went on Thursday from a cold to a sore-throat-hacking-cough-stuffed-nose-croaking thing, and then on Sunday morning my voice decided it had had enough and took its own two-day vacation (hope it went somewhere nice).

As of yesterday, I've been able to talk again - Kevin and I are more than happy to call my cracking-croaking "talking," since we can actually verbally communicate now. It was definitely odd for both of us to have his voice be the only one heard at home by either of us for two days. It was also my first experience of laryngitis - it's amazing how many things go through one's mind to say that are not, in the end, actually worth the trouble of communicating when it would take longer than speaking. Raises the question of whether that type of thing is ever worth communicating . . . being literally speechless was a good Lenten exercise, however involuntary it happened to be.

The timing of all of this was, of course, impeccable in that we've had some absolutely gorgeous weather for the last week - precisely the amount of time that I've been pretty much in bed. Maybe it will decide to stick around a little even after I'm out and about again?

Reading the Mitzel blog in the midst of this, though, I'll take my week of my own head-and-chest cold over their recent tummy ordeal. God bless them!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Bummer about not being pregnant. I heard from Kate that you were sick and was betting against the odds; I guess I was wrong, again. :)

Glad to hear you're done with exams. We're looking forward to seeing you, assuming that all goes as planned!

the observer said...

Thanks for thinking of us in our agony (only partly exaggerating). We are hopefully getting better, but we're not quite there yet. Still keeping to ourselves for the sake of the world at large. Sorry hear you were sick as well... illness of any kind really gives you the chance to offer it up :)