Monday, December 10, 2007

Procrastinating & Pics . . .

I'm procrastinating right now - I ought to be reading St. John of the Cross or brushing up on my Greek or at the very least unloading the washing machine. But instead I'm going to post some pictures.

This is a shot of the sea at sunset, taken on a brief walk down to the shore that Kevin and I took yesterday, just after a rainstorm blew through. Tough life. (I was wearing a winter coat and scarf, though - it's not like it's swimsuit weather here.)






This is our front gate, from the inside, and our leafless pomegranate tree - the tree being another one of God's funny surprises. The morning that Kevin and I came to see this "apartment" for the first time, I was looking at the pomegranates carved on some of the furniture in Jona's apartment where we were staying and commented that for all the looking I'd done last year, I had yet to see a single pomegranate in Italy. Well, that afternoon I ended up with not one pomegranate, but a whole tree-full, table-full, fruit-fly-mobbing glorious red juice-fest-full of pomegranates. Fortunately, Martha Stewart taught me how to peel pomegranates and emerge unstained - in short, peel the pomegranate underwater (just the pomegranate and your hands - the rest of you can stay unsubmerged). The pomegranates from the tree weren't the world's best - the seeds were more seed than juice-sack - but they were still a punchy sweet-and-a-little-tart snack.








Now - what is wrong with this picture?
Answer: This is what happens when a nifty "retractable" lamp decides that it is tired of staying retracted. The light is currently dangling at the level of the "Michigan" on my Michigan sweatshirt. I can look down on our "overhead" lamp.

This happened last night - just before we spontaneously lost power. Kevin has my great respect for a) making canelloni b) in the dark (partly) while c) dodging a descending lamp and then d) figuring out what the electrical issue was and fixing it! Mr. Wonderful!










Finally, here is my non-procrastinating husband himself. He looks like he's procrastinating in this picture (& I, were you to see me, look very industrious as I type away on my laptop), but looks are deceiving. He's in the midst of doing the transcription of a focus group session for the Angelicum's Strategic Planning office.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm so thankful for your procrastination! I've been waiting and waiting for pictures - and news from you, and I've finally been (momentarily) satisfied. :) By the way, if you're wearing a winter coat and hat while gazing at the Mediteranean sea, I have a few things to tell you about the temperature here in MN! ;)

Betsy said...

P.S. Have you told Kevin that he can feel free to take off his shoes and stay awhile? (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pix -- it's a beautiful place, and the people sound pretty nice too. Perhaps we should come visit sometime? Love you and miss you! -- Mom

Anonymous said...

I went to google earth and was able to determine the pier from which you took the sunset photo. That's a pretty nice beach just east (to your back) from where you took the picture.

Much love to you both,
Dad

Kate said...

Hi Heiko!

I really like all of the pictures you have, but who is that random guy in the last picture? He looks a little familiar, but I can't seem to place him.

Since Betsy, Mom, and Dad have all commented I felt like I should add a comment as well. I miss you.

Love,
Kate